2.27.2002

Ever since the Lunar New Year came around, a well as when the Full Moon Day came and went last February 25 (what the Koreans celebrate as Jeongwol Daeborum), I've been thinking a lot about the King of the Stars, taraka-raga in Sanskrit. I looked at it long and hard last night, and I was surprised to see it glowering at me. It wasn't hanging up there in its usual bored self. It was alive, breathing, daring me to look some more.
But the sense of foreboding the moonshine showered me hours ago was washed away the next day. According to experts, yesterday's luna was as close to the earth as it would get in its elliptical orbit this year. A Reuters article quoted them to have said that it was "nine percent wider than normal and shone 20 percent more brightly."
And here I was thinking I was going crazy that it somehow knew I was thinking about it, hence the glowering, "how-dare-you" look.
So much for superstition.

No comments:

Err. How do you reorient this thing? Our hosts a few weekends ago had this huge mansion of a house set beside a cliff overlooking a gorg...